Friday, July 6, 2012

Bread and Biscuits

We spent the 4th of July brewing in the morning. I guess I should specify that Ed brewed. I just stirred the mash. Still, after the mash was done, we had about 11 lbs of spent grains. That is where I come in with spent grain bread and spent grain dog biscuits.

This is Jane waiting for her dog treats.  She was very excited about them!

I modified my favorite bread recipe to make the spent grain bread and it turned out maybe even better than the original bread! I can't wait to pass some of this bread to friends around town.


And as for the dog treats, Jane can attest that they are very delicious. Ed can too. He ate some. He said they were a little bland but good none the less.  And these I can't wait to pass out to our furry friends around town!



Spent Grain Bread Recipe (For any home brewers)

1) Mix the following:
  • 1 1/2 C warm mater
  • 1 package of active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoons honey
2) After yeast becomes frothy (about 5 mins), add the following:
  • 2 Tablespoons melted butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 C spent grains
  • 1 C flour
3) Add 3-4 more cups of flour, one at a time, until reaching bread forms a dough ball

4) Kneed the dough until dough is even in texture and consistency. Put in a bowl and set aside for 1 1/2 hours.

5) Preheat oven to 350.  Punch down and divide dough.  Shape into 2 loafs and place in loaf pan.  Allow to rise again (I put the bread on the warming oven as it helps rise a little faster).

6) Bake bread for about 25 minutes or until it sounds hollow when you knock on it.

1 comment:

  1. Well your friend and Jane's furry friend both loved the treats!

    ReplyDelete